Congressional Art Competition
Each spring, the U.S. House of Representatives sponsors the Congressional Art Competition for high school student artists. This annual competition gives students the opportunity to share their talent with the thousands of visitors who come to visit our nation's Capitol. It is always inspiring to see the wealth of talent and creativity of the students in Texas' Fourth District, and I strongly encourage all high school students in my district to participate. The grand prize winner will have their artwork displayed in the U.S. Capitol Building for one year.
2017 WINNERS ANNOUNCED
Grand Prize Winner: "Eyes of Imagination" by Brittany Ables of Rockwall High School
You can view the full gallery of the 2017 top 10 finalists by clicking here.
- Public, private or home-schooled high school students who are U.S. citizens or permanent legal residents residing in Texas' Fourth District are eligible to participate.
- Student artwork must conform to the Congressional 2017 Rules and Regulations, which you can click here to view.
- Subject matter must not contain obscene or vulgar material.
- Each artist may submit only one entry.
- If you are unsure if you reside in Texas' Fourth District, please click here to verify.
- Deadline: Must submit a digital image by April 25, 2017.
- Submissions are by email to ArtTX04@mail.house.gov and must include a signed copy of participant entry forms.
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal (It is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed.)
- Collages: must be two dimensional
- Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Computer-generated art
Additional Artwork Requirements:
Artwork may be no larger than 26" x 26” and 4” deep including the frame, and weigh 15 pounds or less including the frame. NOTE: Only the grand prize winner will be required to frame their artwork. Entries are not required to be framed at the time they are first submitted but must be capable of complying with size and weight limits once framed. The grand prize entry will need to be framed and must be received in local congressional office no later than Tuesday, May 16.
Please note: The grand prize winner is responsible for framing and shipping their own artwork according to the guidelines.
Grand Prize: The grand prize winner will have their artwork displayed in the U.S. Capitol Building and on the U.S. House of Representatives Congressional Art Competition page for one year. They will also receive two round-trip tickets to Washington to attend an awards ceremony where their artwork will join other first prize entries from other Congressional districts for an exclusive unveiling ceremony. (A second and third place winner will also be announced.)
People's Choice: In May, the top 10 entries will be displayed on my social media pages for the public to view and vote for their favorite. (The grand prize winner will not be eligible for the People’s Choice Award.)
Additionally, all of the top 10 entries will be displayed on my social media pages.
Selection of Winners
Artwork will be judged using a submitted digital image by a select panel of artists and art educators from the Fourth District of Texas, and the winners will be announced on Friday, May 5.
If you have any questions about the art competition, please contact Kathleen Connor at 903-813-5270 or at ArtTX04@mail.house.gov.