Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-Texas) has a proven record of conservative success throughout his extensive career in public service.
As the Mayor of Heath Texas, Ratcliffe balanced the budget for eight consecutive years without ever raising taxes.
As a U.S. Attorney and federal terrorism prosecutor, Ratcliffe put terrorists in prison, arrested 300 illegal aliens in a single day, and cracked down on drug trafficking and public corruption.
As a Member of the U.S. House of Representatives, Ratcliffe serves on the Homeland Security, Judiciary and Ethics Committees where he’s strategically positioned to defend the Constitution and keep America safe through legislative action.
As a champion of limited government, Ratcliffe has championed key conservative legislation while stepping up as a vocal leader in support of critical initiatives in Congress.
Ratcliffe has introduced dozens of bills on a range of issues that include measures to:
- Protect children from exploitation (Strengthening Children’s Safety Act – passed U.S. House of Representatives)
- Improve the cybersecurity of our federal government through collaboration with private-sector (National Cybersecurity Protection Advancement Act – signed into law)
- Crack down on fraud and abuse at federal agencies by requiring agencies to be transparent with the American people (All Economic Regulations are Transparent Act – passed U.S. House of Representatives)
- Enhance America’s strategic partnership with Israel (United States-Israel Advanced Research Partnership Act – signed into law)
- Support state and local law enforcement through advanced training to prosecute criminals based on digital evidence (Strengthening State and Local Cyber Crime Fighting Act – signed into law)
- Stop unelected bureaucrats from creating regulations out of thin air (Separation of Powers Restoration Act – passed U.S. House of Representatives)
- Restore law enforcement access to life-saving equipment (PLUS Equipment Act – effectively enacted through executive order by President Donald Trump)
- Reform the VA to provide higher quality, more timely care for our nation’s heroes (VA IT Restructuring Act – co-introduced by Senator Ted Cruz)
“After more than two years of fighting in Congress to restore access to the life-saving equipment provided by the 1033 Program, I’m grateful we have a partner in President Trump who recognizes the importance of giving our brave men and women in law enforcement every tool they need to keep our communities safe.” – Rep. John Ratcliffe, Aug. 28, 2017
As a top conservative voice in Washington, Ratcliffe has been recognized for his outspoken leadership and stalwart voting record against the status quo.
- Ratcliffe was selected to deliver the Republican Weekly Address on the growing perils of Obamacare and why his colleagues across the nation must step up to repeal it. (Watch Ratcliffe’s full address here.)
- His Separation of Powers Restoration Act was hailed by strong conservative leaders and groups as a landmark win for the Constitution. (Read article here: FreedomWorks Applauds Passage of the Separation of Powers Restoration Act)
- His U.S.–Israel Advanced Research Partnership law has been praised by a multitude of groups, including AIPAC, as a huge step forward in the fight to enhance our country’s strategic partnership with Israel. (Read article here: Key U.S.-Israel Cybersecurity Legislation Signed Into Law)
- His relentless commitment to upholding justice in our legal system has been critical in the ongoing investigations surrounding Hillary Clinton’s use of an unauthorized server to store highly classified sensitive information. (Watch coverage of Ratcliffe’s questioning here.)
- He chairs the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Protection Subcommittee, where he leads efforts to improve the security of federal networks and critical infrastructure, build a stronger cyber workforce, spur cybersecurity innovation in the federal government, and oversee the implementation of the Cybersecurity Act of 2015. (Read more about Ratcliffe’s subcommittee work here.)
Ratcliffe’s work in Congress has been widely recognized through numerous legislative honors and awards, including:
- FreedomWorks’ Congressman of the Month and FreedomFighter Award
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Spirit of Enterprise award
- National Retail Federation’s Heroes of Main Street award
- Club for Growth’s Defender of Economic Freedom award
- Heritage Action’s most conservative legislator in Texas
Ratcliffe is the son of two school teachers and the youngest of six children. He attended the University of Notre Dame and later obtained a law degree from Southern Methodist University where he met his wife, Michele. The two have been married for 28 years, have two daughters and live in Heath, Texas.